It’s now been identified that the gut microbiome (the complex ecosystem made up of tens of trillions of microbes) plays a very critical role in most of our digestive, immune, metabolic and endocrine functions.
In fact, many health practitioners would agree that supporting gastrointestinal (GI) health by rebalancing the gut microbiome and restoring the gut wall should be your most important overall health goals!
That’s why assessing GI health with the proper tools and resources can help practitioners get to the root cause of chronic illness. (Afterall, all disease begins in the gut. Right?)
The GI-MAP Test, otherwise known as the Gastrointestinal Microbial Assay Plus, is one of the newest additions to the list of the most popular health assessment tests today and is quite unique in the arena of comprehensive stool testing.
What Markers Does The GI MAP Test Include?
- Bacterial Pathogens
- Parasitic Pathogens
- Viral Pathogens
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
- Normal Bacterial Flora
- Phyla Microbiota
- Opportunistic Bacteria
- Autoimmune Triggers
- Additional Tests (Elastase, Steatocrit, SIgA, Anti-Gliadin, Calprotectin, b-Glucuronidase, Occult Blood)
- Antibiotic Resistance Genes
Who Should Do This Test?
It’s safe to say that most Americans have what is called dysbiosis or poor bacterial balance. This is due to the influence of environmental toxins that wipe out the “good bacteria”, creating an environment ripe for “bad bacteria” to flourish and hosting parasites.
Almost every one of my clients could benefit from doing a GI MAP test. Some want to achieve optimal health, while others have been chronically ill for years and are frustrated not having a diagnosis.
The main goal of the GI MAP test is to use a single stool sample to examine the microbiome to identify things like:
- Pathogens (parasites & viruses)
- Opportunistic bacteria (“bad bacteria”)
- Beneficial bacteria (not all bacteria are bad!)
- Other key intestinal health markers
Some conditions that the GI MAP test is especially helpful for:
This comprehensive gut health assessment mainly focuses on the specific microbes that tend to disturb the balance of the microbiome, causing digestion problems, as well as other chronic health conditions.
- Digestive issues
- Constipation, diarrhea, bloating, acid reflux, stomach pain
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Autoimmune diseases
- Skin problems, like acne and psoriasis
- Mood disorders, depression, anxiety, and brain fog
- Joint pain
- Chronic sinus and allergy issues
- Diabetes, blood sugar control issues, and weight loss issues
- Hormonal imbalances – the GI MAP tests the amount of beta-glucuronidase in your body, which can affect the detoxification of estrogen
What Are The Benefits of the GI-MAP Test?
The biggest benefit of using this gut health assessment tool that I see clinically is the ability to:
- Identify the underlying cause(s) of persistent digestive problems
- Avoid drawn out elimination diets which might not be necessary
- Allow a health practitioner to create an effective protocol that will finally help a patient to find relief of their symptoms
Who Can Order and Analyze The Test Results For You?
The GI-MAP is a highly sought-after diagnostic tool and relies on new, innovative technology to provide critical insights into your health.
It requires a knowledgeable and qualified practitioner to interpret your test results properly and who can also custom protocol based on those that are suited to your specific needs. Your practitioner will also need to order the test for you.
What is really great about the GI-MAP Test is that, once it’s been shipped directly to you, you can do it in the comfort of your own home.
Why Do I Use The GI-MAP Test in My Functional Nutrition Practice?
This unique gut health assessment provides functional health practitioners with a much more clear picture of what’s happening in your microbiome and is more accurate than other stool testing methodologies due to its high specificity and sensitivity.
Plus, it’s also FDA-approved, and has a fast turnaround time! Bonus!
The GI-MAP test really takes out the guesswork so that I can formulate the most effective protocol for my clients. And that’s really what I really care about – creating the most effective plans so my patients can finally be free of their digestive complaints and chronic nagging symptoms.
Your health concerns are unique, so your health optimization plan should be unique too. Test, don’t guess!
Are you experiencing any of the symptoms or conditions listed?
Have you seen other health practitioners, perhaps even done other testing — and you’re just not uncovering WHY you’re still experiencing symptoms?